Thursday, August 5, 2010

Shelving The Puppeteer

I went and sold my soul,
With vengeance in my heart,
A dark heart was my goal,
I oddly fit the part.

So as my power grew,
You went through many things,
My weird control of you,
I gripped your puppet strings.

Without me knowing what was wrong,
You turned so icy cold,
Surprise it did not take so long,
Before our life was old.

You tried so hard to get away,
Through substances and fury,
I tried to pull you back each day,
Our trust, gone in a hurry.

Until our life had ended,
I could only speculate,
I’d be hit hard, be winded,
Realized it much too late.

It was my sick, demented power,
What turned your love from me,
I feasted on your mind each hour,
I’d never leave you be.

On the night when our paths parted,
I confused my love and hate,
I’d lost control, not broken hearted,
You’re lucky, losing me was fate.

So now I watch you from below,
I see you find yourself,
My strings are gone, no longer grow,
As you put me on the shelf.

7 comments:

Tanya said...

The phrasing and vision this poem portrays is genius. I also love the set pattern of meter and rhyme. Good job!

Unknown said...

Interesting poem Dustin. I like it!

Dustin_Shane said...

Thank you both very much. Every now and then a weird poem will come out of my usually "love poem writing" mind. I enjoyed this one once I reread it.

Dustin_Shane said...

Also I have this thing where I simply cannot write in free verse. It is an OCD thing I have to make some sort of rhyme scheme in all my works. I love to read free verse poems but it disturbs my sense of order very much to try and write them.

Unknown said...

I can't rhyme. Lol

Tayla. (: said...

Hola mi mejor amigo!
I was so into this haha.
:D
I LOVED the lines:

"It was my sick, demented power,
What turned your love from me,
I feasted on your mind each hour,
I’d never leave you be."

It reminds me of some sort of dark/gothic romance.
Which...reminds me of death fucking metal.

Which makes me smile. :D
Haha. I just simply adore this.
So get used to my compliments!!!

Dustin_Shane said...

Oh you have a way with words Tayla. Thank you very much. I am glad you were able to get into it so well.